Tooth-Colored Fillings | Ho-Ho-Kus NJ
Dental fillings can now be fabricated with natural, tooth-colored materials such as resin and porcelain. Porcelain and resin create fillings that are not only beautiful (and unnoticeable) but also add strength to weakened teeth. These restorations are aesthetically pleasing and very strong thanks to new bonding technologies.
Advantages of Tooth-Colored Restorations:
In addition to the natural appearance, there are many additional advantages to tooth-colored restorations. Resin fillings are bonded to the teeth creating a tight seal to the natural tooth. Such restorations can be used in instances where much of the tooth structure has been lost, resulting in an intact, stronger tooth.
The result is a beautiful and functional and healthy smile!
Replacing Silver Fillings with a Tooth Colored Restorations
Some patients wish to have their silver fillings replaced with tooth-colored restorations. Dr. Klotz will be happy to discuss the risks and benefits of this procedure. This process usually requires 1-2 appointments.
Your First Appointment:
- The old filling is removed along with any additional decay.
- If using a resin filling, the material is carefully sculpted into the cavity after a bonding procedure and polished to a smooth finish.
- If using a porcelain material, an impression is made of your teeth. A model of your teeth is made, sent to the lab, and a second appointment is needed.
- A temporary filling is then placed on the tooth.
At the Lab: Porcelain is carefully fabricated on the model of your teeth. It is then designed to look natural.
Your Second Appointment:
- The temporary filling is removed.
- A conditioning gel is placed on your tooth to prepare it for the new filling.
- Bonding cement is placed on the tooth and a high intensity light bonds the resin to the tooth.
- The tooth is then polished.
Your teeth are restored to a natural look and feel, they are stronger and the tooth is protected!